Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sometimes Cookies Crumble

Today, Rubi and I tried for her APDT C.L.A.S.S. BA title.

We didn't get it. She broke her stays - both of them - when dogs in another room started barking. She went right back down when I asked her to, but by then it was too late.

I'm not really broken up about it.

You see, a year ago, Rubi still whined like people were shoving splinters under her nails when she smelled the presence of strange dogs.

Two years ago, the sound of dogs barking could still make her lose her damn mind.

Three years ago, I despised her. She would also start screaming if she saw - or thought she saw - dogs as far as a mile away. And I do mean that literally.

In the years before that, she was shuffled around to so many homes, I've lost count.

She started out in someone's back yard with nothing but a bag of food for company.

So you see, we might not have passed the BA test, but I'm pretty sure "failure" is not a word that applies to us.


2 comments:

  1. LOVE your perspective! Congrats to Rubi and you for all of your progress! As someone who has a pit that still shrieks like a banshee...I can only hope to get to where you and Rubi are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to you and Rubi for how far you've come and for not giving up!

    ReplyDelete