Saturday, October 16, 2010

Goals

(Originally posted Sept 21, 2010)


Before I get to the real subject of this entry, a quick note on our progress: This evening, B was able to walk by a man walking two large dogs on the other side of the street without completely flipping out. She was a little preoccupied with them, but was able to pay attention to me throughout. I'd say she seemed like a pretty normal dog, although not quite like one of my dogs yet (because we all know my dogs aren't anymore normal than their owner, ha). Rubi didn't make me look stupid, which is always one of my long-term goals.

Speaking of goals, due to my recent inability to separate my ass from the couch, I want to write down a few concrete goals for Rubi's training program. I've worked as a rehab nurse for a long time, so I know how valuable a well-written goal can be. I also know how hard it is to write one. First, goals must be realistic and attainable. Saying "Rubi will pass the CGC next week" is a little like saying "I will win the lottery tomorrow." It just ain't gonna happen. Second, the goal must be specific. If I made a New Years resolution to lose twenty pounds by next year, then, well, do I really have to lose any weight in January? I mean, that still gives me eleven months to work on it. So really, not losing any weight in February shouldn't matter either . . . and so on and so on until your making the same goal next year with the addition of "and this year, I really will do it." Goals must also be measurable. Did you do it or not? If the answer is, "I dunno" or "I still have time to work on it," chances are you need to change the way you're measuring your success. Finally, there has to be a deadline. As we procrastinators know, there are no results without a deadline. Having an end date also give you a specific time to revisit and reevaluate your goals.

So, with these things in mind, here are Rubi's and my goals for the future:

1. I will work with Rubi five times per week, at least 20 minutes per session, until we pass the CGC.
2. We will attend all of the remaining CA classes, and I will have decided which class to enroll B in next by CA week 5 (that's next week, btw).
3. I will work with B off my property three times per week until we pass the CGC. (note: that means I have the option of using our twenty minutes per day to go for a walk. I also count going to class as practice off property. So what that breaks into is two walks per week and one trip to class. Should be attainable.)
4. Rubi and I will pass her CGC by May 2011.

So, now all that's left is to pray.  And oh, yeah - get to work. As Thomas Edison said, "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  

No comments:

Post a Comment